While all the thoughts and memories are still fresh in my head, I thought it best to post this morning about the playoffs yesterday. For the first time in over 2 years, I got 3 teams in the playoffs. Last time, I played 5 games and won 2 championships. This time, I was 0-3. Not a single win to even talk about. There were a few positives, a few irritations, and a couple negatives I want to discuss though. I guess you can call this the good, the bad, and the ugly if you want.
- Dekleine Builders, the 4th seeded team, played a very very strong game against the Black Dragons but lost 3-2 in OT. This team that everyone counted out from the start gave the top seeded team a run for their money the whole game. Both teams hit posts when it was tied 2-2 and played very intense hockey. I couldn’t have been more proud of this team than I was after that game.
- Also on my list here was the Bulldogs and their captain Jeff who worked hard in our game but lost 2-0. It was Jeff’s last game in a Bulldog uniform as he will be moving to Chicago in a few short months.
- The referees who awarded the Black Dragons an overtime 3-2 when it should have been a 4-3. It was a mistake, and I guess I can accept that. I can also accept the fact that when it is 3-2, there is a better chance that we could have gotten a break. It just never came to pass, and it makes me think….what if?
- Never getting Jeff a championship before he left. I took him to the finals 2 times and the playoffs 5 times and just couldn’t get it for him.
- My play in the first period against the Slapsticks was rather poor. They got 2 questionable goals on me before they scored 4 really good ones to beat us 6-3. I keep saying that I have my strongest games in the playoffs. Today, that just wasn’t the case especially in the first game when I coughed up 2 bad goals like I did. I guess the positive spin on this was that I played solid the rest of the day and came through with some solid saves in the later games.
- My neck is in bad shape this morning. It was already questionable yesterday, and by the end of the day, I couldn’t turn my head properly. Today, it is all tight and sore. The good thing is that I have no hockey for the next 2 weeks.
It has been a long and enjoyable session. I had a great time playing and I am already looking forward to the next season. I am planning on being on 3 teams and that is all. I was on 5 this session between ice and rollerhockey. Rancid broke up and reformed under a new team name with a different captain. My ice hockey team I dropped on my own mainly because I can’t handle the late ice times.
Now comes the 2 week period of healing and relaxation at night. No hockey for a while. I will enjoy it while it lasts.